There are several ways to get rid of rats. Most of the times, you will get suggestions like killing them with the help of harsh and poisonous chemicals. But, it is very important for you to understand that these things will actually pollute the environment at your home, putting you and your family’s health at risk. And besides all that, it is definitely not good kill anything that has life in it. That is the reason why I always recommend using safe and natural ways
Things That Attract Rats
If you know the target locations of rats in your home, you can prepare your plan of action to get rid of rats more effectively. Some of those possible locations include attics, basement areas, by furnaces, by hot water heaters, under bathtubs, behind cupboards, crawl spaces, insulated areas, abandoned cars, rock areas, tall grasses, bushes, woodpiles, and large trash items, such as furniture. They are basically attracted to different food sources, such as dog dropping, compost areas, pet food, garbage, and fruits and berries on bushes and trees.
Things That You Can Do To Get Rid Of Rats
Now that you are aware of the things that attract rats, you can do the following to get rid of them. These are, in fact, some preventive measures that will solve all your problems.
- If there are trees close to your home, trim their branches. The same treatment should go with the bushes. The idea is to keep the tress and bushes at least three feet away from your home.
- Use plastic containers to store food materials.
- Animal products should not be kept in your compost pile.
- Junk materials should not be piled up.
- Keep the garbage cans tightly closed using lids.
- If you have to store birdseed and pet food, you should keep it at a place that is not easily accessible to rats.
- If you have to stack wood, make sure that the logs are at least eighteen inches off the ground.
- If you have nut-bearing or fruit-bearing trees, do not forget to clean up the fallen materials on a daily basis. If you leave them as it is for a few days, this will attract a good population of rats.
- Animal feces are an attractive food source for rats. Therefore, it is also important for you to collect and bury animal waste.
Overall, the best way to get rid of rats is to implement some effective preventive measures. You can also consider using some rat repellants.